Add my voice to the chorus: after the bullshit festival that was the inauguration, yesterday’s massive worldwide Women’s Marches were salve for the battered soul. The pictures are fucking life.
I, however, woke up Saturday morning and just didn’t have it in me. A long week, waking up with a headache, the 20 degree temps and high wind warnings, the march’s 9am start, the thought of real pants…whatever broke my spirit, all I know is I got out of bed, made myself coffee, and almost immediately fell back asleep on the couch.
I regret missing out on all those awesome feelings of community solidarity, but of course it’s the long game that’s the challenge and, at the end of the day, the imperative. With that in mind, a few things I did this weekend:
- Set up a recurring monthly donation to Planned Parenthood.
- Joined the ACLU.
- Set up my Amazon and Fred Meyer accounts to donate a percentage of my purchases to AWARE.
- AWARE partners with Girls on the Run here in Juneau, so submitted my volunteer form.
- Signed up for Swing Left and Daily Action.
- Actually wrote down my Senators’/Representative’s names and phone numbers. Y’all that know me know how I hate talking on the phone.
There’s more to do, there’s a LOT more to do, but it’s a start.